Thursday, November 15, 2007

Bibliophilia

I completely adore the public library. I do. It is the only thing standing between my voracious desire to consume books, and utter financial ruin. (If there were a religion based on Erasmus, I would totally be there.) And my library has a particularly excellent system of allowing patrons to suggest purchases, which are very often made, and then put on hold for the patron (or patrons?) who suggested the purchase. It's really super duper good.

This being the case, me loving libraries AND having the fortune or foresight to live in a city with a good library system...no actually three good ones in reasonable distance to where I often am, now that I think of it, why is it that I am drowning in books? You'd think that I wouldn't have such an insatiable need to own the damn things, as you can really only enjoy one or two (depending on your view of books on tape) at a time. Why isn't the library, the most marvelous library, enough to keep me from burdening myself with all these damn books. Because I move a lot, and lets face it, nineteen boxes of books are heavy!

Whatever it is, I don't have any interest in giving up my books. They anchor me somehow, or maybe they shield me. Yes, that's it. They shield me from the danger of waking up in the middle of the night and not having anything to read. Also, if I'm ever homeless, I could build a shelter from the boxes. Of course, in the event of an earthquake, I would be crushed. Also, they're my retirement fund. You know what, I don't have to justify those books. They are what they are, and I love them for themselves, strained muscles and all.

I do wish book cases were cheaper though.

No comments: